Thursday, April 28, 2011

Maxwell's Exciting News!

Max came home from school today and told us that he had jumped 4 levels in his reading. We were so excited and happy for him.  Then I received an email from his teacher about it and it was so fun that I wanted to share it, so here it is:


I had to let you know about some VERY good news.... Maxwell made me promise to send you a message so you wouldn't think he was "fibbing".  :o)
 
He has been reading at an independent level D (which is already above the end of the year standard for kindergarten) and I had been working with him in a group on level E.  Today I was doing my end of the year assessment for his reading level and he read the level E with about 5 errors - this is within the range of ability, so I continued with the next level.  Then he read a level F with only 3 errors - and his comprehension is wonderful.  So, we continued and I had him read a level G - he did this one with only 2 errors!!!!  Well, needless to say I was soooo impressed that I thought "we'll just keep going". Next, he read a level H with only one error.... I was amazed to say the least.  I've not had this happen with a student before where they IMPROVED as the book got more difficult.  The highest I can assess in kindergarten is a level J (which is the end of the year standard for 1st grade!), so I told him we would read the level H's for one week and if he is still doing well, we'll go ahead and keep moving him up!  It was as if he was building his confidence with each new level and he blew me away with his abilities!  Just wanted to share with you his tremendous successes... He's a FABULOUS student!  :o)
 
Have a great evening!
Regards,

Mrs. Burrer

We are so proud of you Max and I can't believe you are only 5 weeks away from being in 1st grade.  Where does the time go?

No comments: