The first part of the week was spent cleaning house, playing games and sleeping in. On Thursday, the kids and I met up with Brian's Aunt Karen and Uncle Bill and their grandkids and visited a place called The Oil Ranch. This is a fun place where the kids can run around, ride trains, milk cows, play miniature golf, take a hayride and much more. The kids had a blast. Karen, Bill and I were pretty exhausted by the end of the day, but it was worth it to see how much fun the kids had.
On Friday Brian took off work. We got up, got ready and headed to the San Jacinto Monument. The kids had a fun time running around the outside reading the inscriptions on the monument and taking picutres. We went inside and saw a movie about the battle at San Jacinto and then we went up to the observation floor. I must say I was a little disappointed with the the observation floor because there wasn't much space and it didn't go all around the monument, but it was still fun for the kids to look out at the view below. We were going to go over by the Battleship Texas, but it didn't really work out this time, so we will plan to go back and do that another time.
After we finished at the monument we had some lunch and then we went to the hotel we were staying at that night in Seabrook. We thought we would let the kids swim for a while and then get some dinner. It turned out that the hotel pool was outside and even though the outside temperature wasn't that bad, the water was cold and there was a breeze. The kids wanted to get in, so we let them swim for about 20 minutes. When their lips were purple and they were shivering we convinced them to come in, get changed and we took them to a movie. We saw Rango and then we ate dinner at Chuy's. We got back to the hotel later than we had hoped. So we got ready and everyone went to bed because the next day was a big day and an early day! Brian was running in his first 1/2 marathon and we were there to cheer him on.
Here he is as he is passing the half way mark.
Here he is as he is rounding the final curve and the kids are waiting to start running with him to the finish.
Here he is finishing the race. He finished in 1 hour and 54 minutes. He wanted to finish under 2 hours, so he met his goal and it was a great time for his first 1/2 marathon.
He finished!
Here is the medal he got for finishing.
Brian and the kids by the Pelican.
The kids and their posters.
These are all of the guys that ran the race. There were some girls too, but I didn't get their picture all together like this.
When I got to talk to Brian after he finished, I learned that with about 5.1 miles left in the race, he rolled his ankle and fell, scrapping up his leg and hand. He got back up and started running, knowing that if he stopped, his ankle would swell up and he wouldn't be able to run on it. He stopped briefly at the aid station to get some peroxide on his leg. When we got home, his ankle looked like this. . .
He still hasn't run on it since the race. It is better, but it still gets a little sore at the end of the day. We are proud of him for running, finishing and meeting his goal.
Believe it or not, watching Brian and my friends run this race, it has inspired me to run a 1/2 marathon. I thought I might try one in October, but I am afraid that one might have too many hills for my first time, so I am looking into some other ones. I will let you all know when I run it.
I have some more things to blog about, so hopefully I will get the pictures downloaded soon and get them posted. My goal is to do that this week, so I am trying to stick to that. Until then.....Be happy!
























No comments:
Post a Comment